….well? Any guesses? K, so although I had heard about this, it wasn’t until recently that I started learning a little more and decided to delve farther in this practice than just skin deep. Oh and that Gwyneth. I mean, we know if the queen of GOOP is talking shop about this that the some mindfully inclined fan ladies might head lesson, hard. Can’t you just see it? That gorgeous, glowing skin. Her beautiful little smug smile that clearly says, ‘I know something you don’t know’. Oh and she’s right. Its…
K, so this actually goes back bg. before Gwyneth, before goop. Like wayyyy back…
Some of our oldest cultures have used dry brushing for various forms of benefit. Its roots are deep. From the asian cultures, to Ayurvedic practices. This scrub down is holding the test of time. Which is kind of what we want for our skin, no?
So whats the big deal you ask? Here are some of the main reasons why you might try DRY BRUSHING and I’m not just talking exfoliation people. Drop the body scrub and get a brush in your hand
- Assist in Lymphatic Drainage. Think immune function. Our lymphs need constant physical manipulation in order to drain properly. Dry brushing is an amazing way to assist this and promote overall health and wellness. Ever wondered why when you get up and go for a walk after being sick for days makes you feel better? Yup, thats your lymphs draining all those toxins. Same idea here, we are just helping it along and helping to prevent more illness.
- Cellulite- this may be number one on your list, but health always first. But for reals there is a lot of theory to show that you can improve the appearance of cellulite by adding in a little brush brush to your routine. Double whammy if you drizzle some grapefruit essential oil on that bad boy. Now we really get things going
- Increased vitality and blood flow. No surprise here, you will actually feel a rush of vitality after having a good brush down, or up I should say. It increases our body’s circulation, making it the perfect thing to do pre morning shower
- Exfoliation. This is a no brainer, we know its good for us, it makes our skin supply smooth and begging to be touched.
- Pore cleansing. Dry brushing will cleanse the pores of all the dirt and grime often clogging them up. So your quality of skin will be more healthful and detoxed.
- Glowing skin. Need I say more
So basically you are assisting your body in detox by adding a quick little routine to your morning. Our body is constantly overloaded with free radical damage, and sometime we gotta pull up our big girl panties and fix that shit, but sometimes I think a little help here and there can be cumulatively more effective than more drastic measures.
There are only a few things to remember. I highly suggest you always use a firm natural bristle brush. There are plenty available at whole foods and the likes.
Bottoms up.Always work in an upward motion. You want your lymphs to drain with your blood flow. So work from the bottom up
You don’t have to brush long to have benefit, but each section of the body for around 10 plus strokes would be suffice
Work your arms inward toward your chest and arms
The back, you can go down, or perhaps you will have a partner to help. what could be more sexy than shedding your skin in front of your spouse ;